Deliver an optimal user experience to all devices—including tablets, smartphones, feature phones, laptops, and large screens—by learning the basics of responsive web design. It explains how responsive web design works, and takes you through a responsive workflow from project kickoff to site launch.
Ideal for anyone involved in the process of creating websites—not just developers—it teaches you fundamental strategies and techniques for using HTML and CSS to design websites that not only adapt to any screen size, but also use progressive enhancement to provide a better user experience based on device capabilities such as touchscreens and retina displays.
- Start with content strategy before creating a visual design
Learn why your default design should be for the narrowest screens
- Explore the HTML elements and CSS properties essential for responsive web design
- Use media queries to display different CSS styles based on a device’s viewport width
- Handle elements such as images, typography, and navigation
- Use performance optimization techniques to make your site lighter and faster
Table of Contents
Part I – Foundations of Responsive Design
Chapter 1. What Is Responsive Design?
Chapter 2. Responsive Content
Part II – Creating Responsive Websites
Chapter 3. HTML for Responsive Sites
Chapter 4. CSS for Responsive Sites
Chapter 5. Media Queries
Chapter 6. Images
Part III – Working Responsively
Chapter 7. Responsive Workflow
Chapter 8. Mobile and Beyond
Part IV – Designing Responsive Websites
Chapter 9. Typography
Chapter 10. Navigation and Header Layout
Chapter 11. Performance